Buyer's Remorse Thread ~ 2011 edition ~ | AKA: Why did i buy this?

• 190 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Thunderdrone
Member since 2009 • 7154 Posts

http://i.imgur.com/uA2AC.jpghttp://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cvFfOEje0HM/TJeQnssblLI/AAAAAAAAAPs/KCtQx6ZMlZo/s1600/Grail-wrong.jpg

---!!!THREAD IS NOT LIMITED TO 2011 RELEASES!!!----

Call it getting caught up by the hype machine, clever marketing or a shot in the dark gone wrong, but I'm sure many of you have at least a handfull of games you wish you didnt buy.

I very rarely regret my purchases, but i do have a few 2011 acquisitions that i'm still trying to figure out if the investment was worth it.

Not saying these are bad games. Just ones i could live without or wait for a price drop.

---

http://www.livrariascuritiba.com.br/Imagens%5CInformatica%5CNormal%5CIN012204_N.jpg

Fun game but....uhh, yeah...should have waited for it to hit the bargain bin basket. Bought it cheap, but not cheap enough.

---

http://i.s8.com.br/images/games/cover/img4/21826614_4.jpg

Bought it because of the soundtrack.

Looked like a cool/quirky game too but then i realized i was never gonna give it a fair chance. Backlog + limited gaming time are rpg's worst enemies.

I sold it shortly after and chose to dedicate myself to Xenoblade and Dragon Age 1 instead.

---

http://admintell.napco.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/metroid_other_m_box_art.jpg

Again. Not a bad game. I'm just not THAT big of a Metroid fan to get this hybrid game at full price.

Should have used the money to buy stuff i was actually more interested in at the time.

---

http://image.gamespotcdn.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/8/611178_185505_front.jpg

Bought the gold edition on STEAM. Played once. Never touched it again.

YAY!

---

AND THE WINNER IS...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Killzone_3.jpg

Oh god. This game is so BOOORING and short.

Played the demo, thought it looked fantastic and bought it full price. Finished it before i even noticed and wanted to punch myself for each hour that went by without getting rid of it. Felt like one of those NVidia benchmark demos.

Good thing i sold it the day after i beat it without much loss. This one gets my personal "Why did i buy this?" award!

And thats it so far for me. Your turn

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I will just limit it to this year and my biggest disappointments have been

Dead Space 2: Felt much more than an action game and lacked the suspense of the original

Killzone 3: A complete step back from Killzone 2. Awful campaign, stripped down MP with less features than KZ2, horrible maps, etc. I ended up selling it. Not going to buy another Killzone games

Resistance 3: Lack luster campaign with a TERRIBLE ending. ITs like it wasn't even a Resistance game. The story felt completely stand alone from the events set up in the first 2. The MP was buggy as hell at launch with awful lag and really low frame rates. Tried to become an all out CoD clone with an alien skin and failed miserably. Plus it didn't have an 8 player co op that R2 that was fairly unique. Once again, it was a step back from R2, and I am probably done with the Resistance series after this.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The only thing I can remember regretting this year is buying Killzone 3. What a stinker of a game all around. Boring, poor game play...I couldn't even force myself to finish it. I really should have just rented it. On the plus side I did sell it for $40 so no big loss I guess.

Dead Space 2 falls into the disappointing, and maybe regretted purchase also. It was a great game up until the end,,,but man did it fall apart quickly.

[spoiler] once it started with the re-gen necro the game went down the toilet fast...what the hell was the point of the re-gen anyway? In the first game it was part of the story. Here it just seemed to be a way to make you burn through ammo to make the ending harder. [/spoiler]

I will say that while I don't regret buying Uncharted 3 I do regret paying full price for it. Maybe now that the patch is out I may re-play it once I finish Skyrim.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61526 Posts

I don't actually regret buying any games this year. Games that I didn't enjoy enough to warrant a $60 purchase would be Killzone 3, but luckily my friend gave it to me :P

EPaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EPaul
Member since 2006 • 9917 Posts

MVC3 Special Edition.............should be obvious

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts
I had $50 worth of MS points I got free over the years... Then a few months ago... I got 4 games out of no where (did not buy them) and called MS up... Told them my points were gone and I have crappy games I don't want. They said we'll we can't do anything... Even though I didn't down load them or get any achievements for them. So I was stuck with 2 HOORRRRIIIIBLE games. Ms Splosion Man and Shadow Complex. Played the first one 15 mins and delete it... Played the other 1 hour and delete it. Never going to try to get MS points again. Especially when they buy stuff for you.
screamingdoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 screamingdoom
Member since 2007 • 884 Posts
Sonic Unleashed, Sega Allstars tennis and viva pinata are all purchases that I greatly regret. I likes the demo for sonic but the full game is awful. Viva pinata was my attempt to try something new and I found it extremely boring and allstars tennis is shovelware.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

I had $50 worth of MS points I got free over the years... Then a few months ago... I got 4 games out of no where (did not buy them) and called MS up... Told them my points were gone and I have crappy games I don't want. They said we'll we can't do anything... Even though I didn't down load them or get any achievements for them. So I was stuck with 2 HOORRRRIIIIBLE games. Ms Splosion Man and Shadow Complex. Played the first one 15 mins and delete it... Played the other 1 hour and delete it. Never going to try to get MS points again. Especially when they buy stuff for you.Truth_Hurts_U

whether or not that story is true I don't know

but shadow complex is awesome

as for my pick: Tomb Raider trilogy, I haven't really played any tomb raider game since the first two. So I bought this pack hearing that the new games are pretty good.

finished legend, thought the gameplaye was mediocre and I hated the story and characters, don't plan on the playing the other two

xbox360isgr8t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xbox360isgr8t
Member since 2006 • 6600 Posts
nhl 12. me and like 5 or 6 of my buds played nhl 11 so much. most of us got 12 and were hoping for the same but it was hardly close. the whole online aspect sucks now compared to 12. the easuhl is not the same. wish i never bought the game.
Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Truth_Hurts_U
[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]whether or not that story is true I don't know but shadow complex is awesome

It's 100% true. Just like people getting free MS points out of no where. The day I noticed my points were gone and I had crappy games for the points... Was when everyone was saying they were getting free MS points because of some glitch. But for me they sucked all my points up and said here is 2 crappy games and 2 alright ones.
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]whether or not that story is true I don't know but shadow complex is awesomeTruth_Hurts_U
It's 100% true. Just like people getting free MS points out of no where. The day I noticed my points were gone and I had crappy games for the points... Was when everyone was saying they were getting free MS points because of some glitch. But for me they sucked all my points up and said here is 2 crappy games and 2 alright ones.

I understand, we can't all have good taste :)

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Truth_Hurts_U
I understand, we can't all have good taste :) ohthemanatee
If you call running circles in a rat maze fun... That's for you to decide. :P
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

Dark Souls for me. When you look back you realise the game is not fun, it just boosts your ego with the thrill of conquest. In many ways it is a mess, frustrating because of poor design.

rasengan2552

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rasengan2552
Member since 2009 • 5071 Posts

Definitely Killzone 3 ... the presentation is there but the fun factor ... eh.

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ohthemanatee

[QUOTE="ohthemanatee"]I understand, we can't all have good taste :) Truth_Hurts_U
If you call running circles in a rat maze fun... That's for you to decide. :P

worked for metroid

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Truth_Hurts_U
worked for metroidohthemanatee
Back tracking once is alright... But when the game does it more then that it gets old. Never liked Metroid. That's what I was thinking (this is just like Metroid) the whole time I was playing.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Thunderdrone
Killzone 3 taking the gold home, i see lol
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
Brutal Legends and Halo ODST, with ODST being the winner.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#19 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts
Brutal Legends and Halo ODST, with ODST being the winner. Heil68
You got ODST in 2011? I thought you got it day 1? :P
ActionRemix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ActionRemix
Member since 2011 • 5640 Posts
Skyrim PS3 version aka 15-20 fps version
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
[QUOTE="Heil68"]Brutal Legends and Halo ODST, with ODST being the winner. Slashless

---!!!THREAD IS NOT LIMITED TO 2011 RELEASES!!!---- I guess reading the OP was too much to ask.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Slashless

^I honestly thought this wouldhave been the best shooter of the year. I was dead wrong.

^Worst game I've played this year.

^Game bores me to tears.

^Huge dissapointment , should waited for a price drop.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Slashless
[QUOTE="Slashless"][QUOTE="Heil68"]Brutal Legends and Halo ODST, with ODST being the winner. Heil68

---!!!THREAD IS NOT LIMITED TO 2011 RELEASES!!!---- I guess reading the OP was too much to ask.

By that I think he meant you can put games you bought this year that were released in previous years.
dxmcat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dxmcat
Member since 2007 • 3385 Posts

Complete rubbish. :(

fueled-system

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 fueled-system
Member since 2008 • 6529 Posts
Dragon Age II easily, I was actually close to not buying it because of the changes and I wish I did MW3 IF the game does not get patched with quick scoping and spawns
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts

Brutal Legends and Halo ODST, with ODST being the winner.Heil68

I'm sorry.

For me:

L.A. Noire

Warhammer: Space Marine

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5559 Posts

Crysis 2

I was going through a critical gaming drought when this generic, boring shooter entered the market... still cant bring myself to finish it

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts
MW2... Played until i was about level 30 and couldn't stand it any longer, the only glimmer of enjoyment was the campaign but again it was too short with no replay value(for me).
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Thunderdrone

Crysis 2

I was going through a critical gaming drought when this generic, boring shooter entered the market... still cant bring myself to finish it

enzyme36
Forgot about Crysis 2. I kinda want to add it to the OP but...ehhh...not really sure what to think of it yet.
blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

I suppose i shouldn't say it's buyer's remorse. I love collecting games and trying them out. I just love gaming. With that said, there is one title that comes to mind when i think of falling "really below expectations".

This might seem blasphemous given the stupid amounts of praise it's getting everywhere(seriously, is there anybody not named DarkLink that's disliking it? I kid!) but.. Skyrim.

The "elder scrolls formula", if that makes sense, has worn thin on me. I put many hours into Oblivion and Fallout 3 and am just tired of the way these games play. I guess i was hoping for more innovation or improvements in Skyrim when i decided to buy it. When i think of the things Skyrim improves upon it always seems to be followed by "but not so great compared to any other game". It's art direction is less amature-ish, but still not fantastic. It's dungeons are less samey wastes of space, but still not very memorable and with too many corridor crawling sequences(speaking as someone who's only been through a handful mind you) - which also leads me to mention that looting is so unsatisfying. It's character animations and design are greatly improved, but compared to greater games it's still sloppy looking. It's voice acting is better, but still not great and there are so many repeated lines of dialog among citizens that i'm still driven insane. What weapon type did you say you preferred mister companion? Tell me again please!

THe great sense of immersion is still not there. I dunno.. this just feels like a simple polishing up(heh) of oblivion and fallout 3 mechanics without actually fixing them. Combat, quests dungeons, caves, art, animations, dialog, and so on all leave so much to be desired. I passed on Fallout new vegas for the same reasons i should have expected little with Skyrim. Not enough "new" feeling.

Maybe i was just spoiled by the Witcher 2.

Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Thunderdrone

Oh god, OBLIVION was the epitome of boredom. If the first Assassins Creed had a baby with OBLIVION, the burst of energy released on its birth would consume our will to live and bore humanity to extinction.

I still want to buy Skyrim though.

The setting and feel of the game seem right up my alley. To bad Bethesda doesnt want me to buy it.

But i digress...

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
Disappointed with my Skyrim purchase, that is until we get a proper patch on PS3.
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

ico collection. what a waste of $25. i should have just bought something i had never played before.

lesson learned on letting nostalgia get the best of me.

Avatar image for WithoutGraceXII
WithoutGraceXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WithoutGraceXII
Member since 2007 • 1797 Posts
I bought Dirt 3 full price on release day. Why would I do that? I played it for a couple hours, remembered that I suck at every racing game ever made except Mariokart, then cried for my lost money. And as an extra kick in the balls, I just saw the game for stupid cheap during the latest Steam sale.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts
Gears of War and Crysis 2. Juppers.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
Only case of buyer's remorse this year has been Dragon age 2. What a PoS
istreakforfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#37 istreakforfood
Member since 2004 • 7781 Posts
Counting only this year I have to go with Marvel vs Capcom 3: FoTW. Waste of money. Glad the collectors edition was sold out, because if it wasn't I would of gotten it.
ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
Disgaea 3: it seems like the series has gone down since the first one. Assassins Creed Brotherhood/RDR: For some reason most open world games just get me bored with there missions. Killzone 3: how they changed it from 2 really upset me. Brink: my what a disappointment.
Thunderdrone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Thunderdrone
Disgaea 3: it seems like the series has gone down since the first one.ShuichiChamp24
I hope not. Kinda want to get 4 at some point :/
Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
White Knight Chronicles 2. Seriously, I have no idea why I buyed this.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Slashless
[QUOTE="ShuichiChamp24"]Disgaea 3: it seems like the series has gone down since the first one.Thunderdrone

I thought 4 was pretty good.
Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

Batman AC

Game was too short, unsatisfying, and the lengthwas only stretched by fillers.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts

I'll tentatively say Skyrim (because playing as a combo thief/mage makes for some wonky levelling, so I probably just need to try some different quest lines). For all the improvements Bethesda made, sweet jebus does the get quest->find dungeon->biff faceless, nameless enemies->lather->rinse->repeat formula get tired fast.

ShuichiChamp24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ShuichiChamp24
Member since 2009 • 5014 Posts
[QUOTE="ShuichiChamp24"]Disgaea 3: it seems like the series has gone down since the first one.Thunderdrone

If you like the first 3 sure get it. Also forgot about Rune Factory Oceans, this game was the biggest disappointment for me this gen.
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I definitely agree with Killzone 3. It's not a terrible game but I bought it when it came out and was immediately disappointed that the coop is local only.after playing for a few hours I got really bored with it and never went back to it.

TonyDanzaFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 TonyDanzaFan
Member since 2010 • 2973 Posts
Battlefield 3, LA Noire, and my 3ds.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I can't remember what games I bought this year, but I'll say Resistance 3. A true pile of crap with no redeeming qualities.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
I got Sniper Elite for the Wii because it came with a really realistic sniper rifle attachement, made the sniping really cool but the rest of the game almost unplayable. It's still a decent game if I decided to lose the attachment but I don't feel compelled to play it without the rifle. Should really try a light gun game with it though because many of the rifle's parts come off to form an assault rifle or shotgun.